LOIRE VALLEY - 2018
After many years buying brocante in France, we would like to share our expertise with you, to introduce you to the magic of the market and ship your treasures back home.
Geoff and Jennifer invite you to join them for a week in Touraine, staying at an ancient priory, exploring markets, bric-à-bracs and antique shops and visiting royal châteaux and Renaissance towns in the valley of the Loire and stunning little villages on the peaceful Indre River.
Our accommodation is the beautifully restored wing of a 12th Century Benedictine nunnery and Royal Priory. Nestled within the forest of Villandry, the Priory includes the original pigeon tower and church and is set in 30 acres of privately owned countryside. Various French kings, from Charlemange to Louis X1V visited the nunnery, and Joan of Arc called in between campaigns. More recently it was ransacked by revolutionaries and occupied by the Nazis who used the chapel as a storeroom and left bullet holes in the walls.
The French owners have restored the damage inflicted by these less than appreciative visitors and refurbished the buildings as exclusive accommodation for groups.
With its ancient tufa stonework and magnificent Gothic windows, a big contemporary kitchen housed in an ancient chapel and château-style bedrooms in what was once the nuns’ dormitories, the Priory provides both plenty of space and privacy for our guests within an authentic setting.
There is a swimming pool for those who need to cool off after a busy day of brocanteering.
Although the Priory can accommodate up to twelve people we are limiting the groups to five so we can give you, and the packing and shipping of your purchases, our full attention.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT..
In our nine-seater bus, we will take you to weekend brocante and antique markets, many of them in tiny picturesque villages; to vide-greniers and consignment stores, to antique dealers and Emmaus shops. We will arm you with enough french to bargain with the locals, we will teach you the etiquette of the brocanteur and we will take you to places where tourists rarely venture, where the dust lies deep on ancient clutter and the bargains are irresistable.
You will visit Fontevraud Abbey, the fabled gardens of Villandry and the turreted castle of Ussé which inspired the story of Sleeping Beauty. You will be welcomed into the private chateau of the Comte de Christen, take a tour of the Priory with the Countess who owns it and you will eat with the locals in some of the most beautiful villages in France.
3rd to 10th September 2018,
Price per person twin share is NZ$ 4100.00 ( Land package only, does not include airfares.) Groups limited to 6 or 7.
THE PRICE INCLUDES..
• Seven night’s accommodation in double bedrooms with bathroom.
• All breakfasts.
• Four evening meals including a privately catered French meal and a group repas at a Brocante Gourmande.
• Pre-dinner wine and snacks.
• Daily transport by mini bus. An organised itinerary of markets, antique shops, restaurants and brocante stores, with visits to Azay le Rideau, Tours, Amboise, Montsoreau, Chinon and the medieval city of Loches.
• Entrance fees to three venues; Fontevraud Abbey, Villandry and Ussé. As an option any of these could be substituted with a visit to Les Grottes Petrifiantes or Chateau de Candé.
• Assistance with buying, bargaining and translation. Au marche French lessons for those who want them.
• Packing materials/cartons/wrapping material/individual invoice books.
• Assistance with packing, invoicing of purchases, transport to port, EORI documentation, completion of customs requirements for France and New Zealand, shipping of goods to Lyttelton, transport to Akaroa.
NB. As we cannot anticipate how much or how little each person may require to be shipped and thus build the cost into our tariff, there will be a shipping contribution of $100 for each carton sized 600x400x400.
Clients will be required to pay any GST incurred on their purchases.
• Pick-up at Druye railway station, times and rail itinerary to be advised
• Drop-off at Druye or St Pierre des Corps (Tours) railway station.
For further information:
Phone: 03 304 8760
Cell: 029 770 5153
or Click Here to send us an email.